Center for the Creative Arts
This Center offers an array of experiences in the Performing and Visual Arts, culminating in the senior year with the Creative Arts Scholars Showcase.
Whether interested in the Visual or Performing Arts designation, students should begin the process in freshman or sophomore year by meeting with their art or performing arts teachers, or any members of the Visual Arts or Performing Arts department to discuss requirements needed for the designation.
Seniors can graduate as Creative Arts Fellows in the Visual or the Performing Arts by following one of these paths:
- Minimum of 1/5 credits in Visual Arts classes (Art, Photography or Digital Media).
- Capstone class could be any of the following: Honors Advanced Studio Art, Printmaking, Ceramics, Photo 2, Digital Cinema or 3D Modeling and Animation.
- Participation in the Artists and Writers Festival for at least one year.
- A minimum of one advanced visual arts class outside of HB (at Cleveland Institute of Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, or a community arts center), or participation in a workshop, internship, or residency in the visual arts (i.e.: Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, Zygote Press, Spaces, Morgan Conservatory, Glass Bubble Project, etc.)
- Enter at least two art competitions or exhibitions (Scholastic, Governor’s Show, Traveling Shows, Congressional Art Show, Beachwood Arts Center Show, etc.).
- Completion of a capstone portfolio called a “Concentration” in the form of a series of exploratory works, followed by 12 finished works (or a number of works agreed upon with the fellow’s faculty advisor) on a theme or technique. Students could begin this junior year. This process is estimated to involve approximately 75 hours of time commitment.
- Utilize the summer between junior and senior year to research, explore, and finalize the theme of the Concentration, along with creating a sketchbook based on a series of assignments provided by the Visual Arts Department.
- Each fellow must have a faculty advisor from the Visual Arts faculty.
- complete a minimum of 1.5 credits in Performing Arts classes, including an advanced class in the area of concentration (AP Music Theory, Advanced Songwriting, Advanced Technical Theatre, Black Box Ensemble, Bravuras, Contemporary Dance Ensemble, or 3rd/4th year of Orchestra)
- complete a minimum of one performing arts experience (master class, workshop, festival, or competition) outside of HB, or participate in an internship or residency in the performing arts
- participate in at least three extracurricular performances
- complete a capstone project beginning junior year and finalized in senior year