The Strnad Fellowship Program
Click here to apply for the 2014-2015 Strnad Fellowship Program (applications due Friday, February 13).
- The Edna Dawley Strnad Fellowships in Creativity were established in 1981 to offer enterprising and talented juniors and seniors the opportunity to design a year-long independent study in the arts, humanities or sciences that reach above and beyond the HB curriculum.
- Working with both in- and out-of-school mentors, Strnad Fellows pursue inquiry in every field of endeavor. To be selected, a project must be original in its conception and must result in a concrete and tangible outcome that is presented to the School community.
- In addition to satisfying the scope and creativity of the project and completing a formal grant application, Fellowships in Creativity are awarded on the qualifications of the candidate. These include a sound academic standing, interest and demonstrated talent in the project field, the capacity to make the project a meaningful experience and the ability to work independently without significant supervision.
- The Fellowships in Creativity, in addition to having lifelong intellectual impact on the many Fellows for the past 30 years, also served as a model for several other independent research programs that followed in all three divisions of the School.
- Some recent projects have included the development of a Latin course for middle schoolers, the creation of a claymation video, and the construction of a fully-functioning bicycle.