Beyond the Classroom
The remarkable achievements that we see daily in the early childhood classroom reflect the joy of learning that is only the beginning of the Hathaway Brown experience. In addition to programming taught by specialized teachers in the HB community, we offer the following throughout the school year.
- Field Trips: Theme-based learning is enhanced for our pre-kindergartners through visits to museums, farms, concerts and other places of interest throughout the greater Cleveland community.
- Guest Performances: Visiting authors, storytellers and musicians are among the scheduled performers who enrich the school year. Different traditions from around the world are celebrated through stories, songs, dances and related activities.
A Family-Centered Learning Community: HB's Early Childhood Program is designed to be inclusive of family and community. To make sure students of all backgrounds feel welcome, a diverse population of Upper Schoolstudents has made a commitment to assist in the early childhood classes. This program is designed to heighten awareness, normalize differences, and provide role models that reflect and affirm a wide range of experiences.
We also provide support services focusing on the needs of the young child. These include speech, hearing and vision screenings, availability of an on-site psychologist and a director of learning resources. Parents also meet regularly to help plan and implement community-building events, including:
- A Family Picnic at Squire Valleevue Farm to celebrate the beginning of the school year.
- The Homecoming and Family Festival with activities for all ages, from pony rides and mini-golf to a 5K run.
- A Family Sing-Along with HB's music teacher in each classroom to celebrate the winter holidays.
- An annual EC Family Night where dress is pajama-casual and entertainment is provided by a professional storyteller, topped off by hot chocolate and cookies.
- Our Early Drop-off, and After School Club programs offer flexible hours for working parents.
Parent support available with on-site consultants Amy Speidel and Dr. Suzanne Schnepps.
Please visit HB's Center for Family Support website for more information on resources for parents of young children