Founded in 1876, Hathaway Brown School has devoted vast resources to create the ideal academic and social environment for the development of young women for more than 140 years.
- HB was created and nourished by the extraordinary generosity of Cleveland civic leaders; they imagined an institution devoted to the intellectual development of women at a time when few believed the minds of women mattered.
- The School was born as "afternoon classes for young ladies" at the Brooks Military School, a private school for boys. It was originally called the Brooks School for Ladies.
- In 1886, Anne Hathaway Brown purchased the School; its name was later changed to Miss Anne H. Hathaway Brown's School for Girls. Miss Hathaway Brown sold the school in 1890.
- The School moved to its current location in Shaker Heights in 1927.
- 14th Head of School Fran Bisselle was named to the position in 2016.
- HB is Ohio's oldest continuously operating college preparatory school for girls.
- The School's motto is non scholae sed vitae discimus ("we learn not for school, but for life").
Read more in "Tradition and Transformation -- A History of Educating Girls at Hathaway Brown School, 1876-2006"
Read more about HB in the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History