Technology Implementation Plan
The HB Technology Initiative is your child’s tomorrow…
At Hathaway Brown, we help girls learn not for school but for life — and there’s no denying that today’s lives are filled with technology. The rate of change is staggering, and wading through the promises and the pitfalls requires a steady hand and a clear mission.
We’re lucky to have both. Using a careful and mission-based approach, we’ve designed a comprehensive and innovative one-to-one computer program that will enhance the learning experience of each student while also retaining the best of the classic models that have transformed the lives of Hathaway Brown girls for more than a century.
Our philosophy is clear: We don’t chase the latest technological fad; instead, we choose the tools that will best prepare our students for the world they'll inherit.
Our teachers have designed educational experiences that will open the classroom, teach students how to use technology efficiently and ethically, and also help them understand when it’s best to power off. Hear what they have to say...
Beginning in 2011, HB phased 1:1 technology into grades EC-12 classrooms.
- Grades EC-2: Shared school-owned iPads.
- Grades 3-5: Individually assigned school-owned iPads.
- Grades 6-8: Individually assigned family-purchased iPads.
- Grades 9-12: Students' choice of device that meets minimum criteria.
- HBPA - generous gift of $100,000, announced May 2011, got us started
- Reallocation of technology fees and funds
Early Childhood-Grade 2
- iPad carts to share between classes
- Used in small group activities
- One mobile device - iPads - per student
- Stays in school, owned by school, stored in shared carts
- Uniform device — iPad — purchased by family
- Owned by student, minor trouble shooting done by school
- Travels with student
Grades 9-12 (BYOD=Bring Your Own Device)
- Student selected, student owned, student maintained
- Minimum specifications for device
- Web based curriculum, resources, collaboration and applications