Campus Life

page tools
Home |
Campus Life | Transportation | Frequently Asked Questions
email page print page large type regular font

Transportation Service Frequently Asked Questions

<back to Transportation Home

Can my child ride a public school bus?

The following school districts currently provide transportation to Hathaway Brown School for students who reside in their local districts. Different restrictions apply to each district. Because of the current economy, many districts are considering changing their services. Please check directly with the transportation department of your local school district to find out for certain what transportation will be offered for the 2019-2020 school year.

As of March 4, 2019:

DistrictTelephoneCurrent Service
Chagrin Falls440.893.4055K-12
Orange216.831.8600 ext. 7632K-12
Shaker Heights216.295.4373K-8

back to top

Can my child ride a Hathaway Brown School bus?

Hathaway Brown School will first try to provide transportation to or from school for those students who could not attend school without it. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis for students who are not eligible for public school transportation. If seating is available, we will provide transportation to other families as well. If room permits, we will transport siblings in grades K-8 to University School's Shaker Heights campus.

back to top

What does transportation cost?

Public school transportation is free.

Hathaway Brown School does charge for transportation in order to help offset the cost of offering this service.

Our costs for the 2019-2020 school year are listed below.

Transportation to school is a flat rate for the school year.$1,800
Transportation home after school is $13.50 per ride, not to exceed $1,700 for the entire school year.$13.50/Ride

back to top

Is service provided where I live?

We will adjust our routes each year, if we can, to provide transportation as it is needed. Pick-up and drop-off areas may change and are dependent upon the transportation requests that we receive. Routes may be cancelled if there is not sufficient usage to support them.

We currently provide transportation to the following areas:

Bath/Richfield/Independence - A bus stops at central pick up points at the McDonald's Restaurant in the parking lot behind the facility on Wheatley Road just west of I-77 and south of I-271 and at St. Mark's Church on E. Pleasant Valley Road at McCreary Rd. west of I-77. In the morning only central stop pick up is available. Students who can not be met at a central stop after school may, depending on the location, be driven home after the bus has stopped at central point locations. Call the transportation office at (216) 320-8081 to see if residential drop off can be arranged.

Aurora/Bainbridge/Chagrin Falls - A bus picks students up and takes them home. Depending upon where the families reside, they may need to meet the bus at a central stop.

Bratenahl/Cleveland Heights - Because of the close proximity and low demand, regular route service to Cleveland Heights/Bratenahl is dependent upon sufficient registrations. If you are interested in transportation from these areas please register as soon as possible. Once all registrations are received (June 30), a determination will be made whether to proceed with the route, utilize other routes to pick up students in these areas, or whether we will be unable to provide service.

Hudson/Twinsburg - This route currently provides a mix of central stops and limited door-to-door service. However, due to low registration and usage, this route may become a central-stop route for 2019-2020. Once all registrations are received (June 30), a determination will be made whether to continue door-to-door service or to switch to central-stop pickup and drop-off. 

Solon/Orange Village - A bus combines residential stops with central pick-up points. Both Solon and Orange Schools provide bus service to HB. Depending upon where families reside, we may require them to meet the bus at a central stop.

Westlake/Rocky River/Bay Village/Lakewood - A bus stops at central pick-up points at Clemens/Crocker, Detroit/Clague, and Warren Road. Students who cannot meet at a central stop may, depending on the location, be driven home after the bus has stopped at all central point locations. Call the transportation office at 216.320.8081 to see if residential drop off can be arranged.

back to top

Who can ride the bus?

We transport students in grades K-12 and their siblings in grades K-8 at University School. From time to time, we may transport students from other schools as well.

back to top

Is transportation available after athletics or after-school programs?

No. The buses leave at the end of the regularly scheduled school day. Buses depart HB promptly at 3:30 p.m.

back to top

Do the routes or times change during exams?

No. Because we transport students of all ages together, we cannot change the route during exams. If this causes a hardship, please call Transportation Coordinator Chris Staats at 216.320.8081 or email to see if a special arrangement can be made.

back to top

What happens if I am not at the central stop after school when the bus arrives? What about the morning?

The driver will continue on the route and return to the central stop when all of the other students have been dropped off. If you are the last stop, the driver will wait for you. If you cannot be reached, other contacts on your transportation registration form will be called and arrangements will be made for them to meet your child. If no one can be reached, the student will be taken back to the school and the driver or someone from the school will wait with the child until she is picked up.

In the morning, the driver will wait for two minutes past the scheduled departure time and then continue to the next stop.

back to top 

Whom do I call if my child will not ride the bus?

Call the Hathaway Brown School Transportation office at (216) 320-8081 and leave a message if your call is not answered.

back to top

Can my child bring a friend home with her on the bus?

We will allow guest passengers if there is room on the bus. We must have written permission from the guest's parent(s) and emergency contact information before the guest can ride the bus. Please call the Hathaway Brown School Transportation Office at 216.320.8081 to schedule a guest.

back to top

If my child has a large project, such as a Science Fair poster, can she bring it on the bus?

As long as the project can fit on the bus seat, she can bring it with her. For safety reasons, we cannot allow anything to be placed in the bus aisle, doorway, or exits. NO ANIMALS can be transported on school buses.

back to top

Can my child be dropped off at a different stop from the usual stop?

Yes, but we must have your written permission and we must be able to make the stop without causing any disruption to the service of other passengers.

back to top

How do we sign up for Hathaway Brown School Transportation Service?

To register, please click here to complete the form online. All registration materials must be received before June 30, 2017.

Once the registration forms are received, routes, and stops will be determined and a preliminary schedule arranged. Passengers who register after June 30 may be required to meet the van or bus at an already-determined stop.

back to top

Where can I get more information?

Contact the Hathaway Brown School Transporation Service by phone at 216.320.8081 

back to top

Shaker Heights, Ohio Girls K-12 Coed Early Childhood

19600 North Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122 P: 216.932.4214
powered by finalsite