Getting to Know Hathaway Brown's Kindergarten
We understand the process of selecting a Kindergarten can sometimes be a bit daunting. We're here to help! The HB Admission Office and the HB Primary School will provide you with information and opportunities so you can learn how HB helps each girl build her foundation of knowledge while also helping her identify passions and talents - and it all starts in Kindergarten!
We want to get to know you.
We ask that prospective families schedule an appointment with the Admission Office for their parent meeting and tour. This parent session helps provide us with additional information on your family, your daughter and why HB could be a good match for you. Parent meetings and tours start in November, Tuesday through Friday mornings throughout the admission season.
Get to know us.
We encourage all families to attend our Admission events. At many of our events you will hear directly from our four full-time Kindergarten teachers, the Director of our Primary School, our Head of School and from current parents and students. In addition, you will have the chance to tour our classrooms, explore the building and watch our students in action. During these events we believe you will feel the energy and passion that is ignited throughout HB!
See what HB offers your daughter.
- Integrated academics to foster each girl's love of learning
- Enriched language arts curriculum focusing on a balance of literature-based and phonetics instruction through Guided Reading, journaling, big books and Book Buddies
- Learning Center based education in literacy, computer science, math, science, blocks, creative play and art
- Innovative Storyline teaching tool allows for integrated, student-led learning
- Community value system through the 3 R's: Respect, Responsibility and Resilience as well as Kindness
- Specialty classes in Spanish, PE, Swimming, Library, Dance, Music, Science, Computer Science and our own Invention Lab
- Hands-on science using our easily accessible, botanical Oliva Garden, Greenhouse and Bird Sanctuary
- Music instruction rooted in the Orff-Schulwerk philosophy
- PE classes frequent use of our turf field and Butler Aquatic Center
Common Kindergarten Questions
Q: How many girls and how many teachers are in HB's Kindergarten?
A: We have two classes of up to 18 amazing, bright girls with two full-time very talented teachers in each class.
Q: Does HB offer financial aid to Kindergarteners?
A: Yes, to complete the financial aid process visit our Tuition & Financial Aid page or call the Admission Office at 216.320.8767 for further information.
Q: Can my daughter visit the Kindergarten class during the school day?
A: We understand how important it is for you to get to know our classrooms and teachers. We also know how overwhelming it can be for a Pre-Kindergarten student to visit with our Kindergarten students so we invite all Kindergarten applicants to visit HB Kindergarten classrooms during our Open Houses, tours or Kindergarten Visitation Day.
Q: What happens during a screening?
A: Prospective Kindergarten applicants and our Pre-K students screen with our four Kindergarten teachers and our Learning Specialist in a group screening using predominantly the KDI assessment. We look at over 20 areas of your daughter's social, emotional and educational development. During your daughter's screening we also take the time to get to know your daughter one-on-one as well as in a group setting. Screening results will be shared with parents prior to Admission Committee meetings. Admission screenings for Kindergarten applicants cannot be scheduled until your Application for Admission has been submitted.
To learn more about the Kindergarten admission process or events, or to RSVP please call our Admission Office at 216.320.8767.