Civic Engagement Overview
The Center for Civic Engagement embraces Hathaway Brown’s commitment and responsibility to address local, national and global challenges. It promotes a sustained level of community engagement together with a culture of understanding and compassion that extends beyond the walls of the school. Through curricular service learning initiatives, student leadership, and foreign immersion trips, the Center empowers students and faculty to live out HB’s philosophy: “We learn not for school but for life.”
In keeping with the school theme of "Be Well Lead Well," this year's theme is "Be The Change."
Pathways To Involvement
Join GROW, HB's student run foundation that funds important causes in the Cleveland area and beyond.
Learn, serve, and take action through the Community Based Learning Curriculum:
- CBL I
- Advanced CBL
- Civic Leadership
- Service Learning Fellows Capstone Experience
School Wide Leader
- Become a Service Learning Officer and plan meaningful projects for you and your classmates.
- Run for a leadership position in GROW and set the tone for philanthropy at HB.
- Join a team of HB Peer Educators teaching health and wellness to youth at East End Neighborhood House.
- Join your CCIS friends in mentoring Middle School students at Citizens Leadership Academy.
- Participate in the Mentor Group Service Program.
- Sign up for Grade Level Service Projects offered throughout the school year.
Director, Center for Civic Engagement
Hathaway Brown School
19600 N. Park Blvd.
Shaker Heights, OH 44122
See how the HB Community gets involved in our HB magazine.