Admission

page tools
Home |
Admission | Tuition & Tuition Assistance
email page print page large type regular font

Tuition & Tuition Assistance

Approximate Tuition and Fee Ranges for 2018-2019 School Year

Infant & Toddler Center
6 weeks - 36 months
$3,100 to $15,900
Early Childhood
Ages 2 1/2 - 5
$5,100 to $11,400
Primary School
Grades K - 4
$21,900 to $24,900
Middle School
Grades 5 - 8
$26,200 to $27,800
Upper School
Grades 9 - 12
$30,500 to $31,900
Optional Programs
Early Morning Drop-Off (EC-PS)
Extended Day (EC)
After School/Homework Club (EC-MS)             

No Cost
$1,400 to $5,670
$525 to $4,050


* Tuition & Fees are adopted & approved annually in January by the Board of Trustees. 

Payment Plans

The following payment plan options are available. Additional information on these payment options is available by calling the School's Business Office at 216.320.8777.

Full Payment
100% of the tuition and fees paid on or before August 1, 2018.

Partial Payment
60% of the tuition paid by August 1, 2018; the remaining 40% of the tuition and fees paid by January 15, 2019.

Installment Payments
Families can make monthly payments through Smart Tuition.

Tuition FAQs

What does the tuition fee include?

  • Tuition includes the cost of lunch each day, technology, parent association dues, and class fees.  Books and materials are included through eighth grade.

Are there additional costs beyond tuition?

  • Yes.  Books and material requirements vary in the Upper School so those are not included.  There are fees associated with technology and trips based on different grade levels. There are also additional costs based on families’ needs such as After School Club, Homework Club, extracurriculars and sports.  

Why is there an annual fund on top of tuition?

  • Tuition does not cover the full cost of educating an HB student.  Every Annual Fund dollar raised means more resources to fulfill Hathaway Brown's mission and benefit every Blazer every day.  The annual fund ensures the hallmarks of an HB education for everyone through a commitment to faculty excellence, academic and experiential opportunities, and financial aid.

What if a grandparent wishes to pay tuition?

  • The general rule is that any gifts over the $14,000 annual gift tax exclusion from one person to another are subject to federal gift tax and generation-skipping transfer tax (GSTT). However, an exception to this rule exists for certain tuition payments. Specifically, any tuition payments made by a grandparent (or anyone else) directly to a qualifying educational organization (e.g., school) to cover a student's tuition expenses are exempt from federal gift tax and GSTT, even if such payments exceed the annual gift tax exclusion. The key is that such payments must be made directly to the qualifying educational institution. You will not qualify for the exemption if you gift the money directly to the student with instructions to apply it to tuition expenses. The unlimited exclusion does not cover books, supplies, or room and board expenses. This type of gift may still be subject to state gift tax and/or GSTT. Call a tax attorney in your state for more information.

Please be advised that this information is not intended as legal or tax advice. Accordingly, any tax information provided is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. You should seek advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent advisor.


Hathaway Brown School admits students of any race, color, religion, nationality, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally made available to students at the School. The School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, nationality, or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic or other School administered programs.

Shaker Heights, Ohio Girls K-12 Coed Early Childhood

19600 North Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122 P: 216.932.4214
powered by finalsite