The Aspire application process consists of 4 parts:
- A written application (available from partner schools),
- Fourth and fifth grade report cards and test scores,
- A parent/guardian statement
- Letters of recommendation from teachers and community members, and
- An interview at with the Aspire Admissions Committee.
Criteria for Admission
- Are female
- Are in fifth grade in a partner school (Aspire partners with all schools in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland Heights-University Heights School District, East Cleveland City Schools, Breakthrough Charter Schools and Horizon Schools).
- Have a strong academic record---no D’s or F’s---and are diligent with assignments
- Show responsibility by participating in at least one significant way at school, home, or in a neighborhood organization
- Have a steady advocate (parent, relative, guardian, social worker, teacher)
- Have no significant behavioral issues
- Have at least a 90% attendance rate
- Complete the Aspire application and interview in its entirety, by the deadline
- May be limited in opportunity because of low family income, and lack of exposure to higher education
In addition, the program seeks applicants who:
- Are self-motivated
- Love learning
- Have solid communications skills (writing and speaking)
- Set high goals
- Bring diversity in background, culture, and ethnicity to the program
- Respect others and value community
- Take healthy risks and enjoy new challenges
How can my daughter apply to Aspire?
Students should request applications from their school principal, counselor or fifth grade teacher during the December of their fifth grade year.
If your daughter attends a school not located in one of the districts named above and is currently enrolled in the fifth grade, please contact our office to request an application.
Please note: Aspire admits students only as fifth graders. If your daughter has already completed fifth grade, she is ineligible for the program.