Aspire for Students
While in fifth grade, students are invited to submit an application that is followed by a one-on-one interview. The careful screening process contributes to Aspire’s exceptional attendance and retention rates.
Over the course of a multi-year commitment in middle school, students attend three consecutive summer sessions (prior to entering sixth, seventh, and eighth grades) and also gather for events throughout the school year. Aspire girls participate in a variety of leadership-building activities in academic classes and exploratory workshops.
The core program offers:
• Mentorship—Aspire creates a close-knit community where girls get to know each other and their teachers in a supportive environment.
• Exposure—Aspire’s curriculum introduces new people, places, and ideas in a format that emphasizes reading, writing, public speaking, problem solving, and group work.
• Choice—Program elements lead students to be self-reflective, to develop a stronger sense of convictions, and to focus on what’s right for them.
In order to give our students the opportunity to explore new topics and make decisions, Aspire offers a daily activity and choice periods. Daily students select from a number of mini-classes. Offerings include:
- visual and performing arts
- character education
- diversity exercises
- adventure learning
- community-building activities
- strategy games
- book discussions
The meetings and events at Aspire encourage partnerships between students, teachers, and families. Stories, quotations, and news events inside and outside of our community are shared in morning meetings. Orientation, Family Night, Open House, Closing Ceremony and Year-Round gatherings bring the full Aspire community together.
Aspire places a strong emphasis on public speaking; students speak regularly at meetings and events.