Department: Physical Education/Athletic Department
Reports To: Physical Education Department Chair
FLSA Status: Exempt
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Demonstrate a passion in teaching Physical Education and lifelong fitness in the pool and in the gym as needed
- Be confident in the use of technology in the classroom
- Keep updated in innovative teaching strategies, models, and techniques
- Be willing to teach “beyond” the classroom (electives)
- Work collaboratively with department, division, and center directors
- Ability to work with Early Childhood through high school students
- Develop and implement effective and engaging curriculum
- Ongoing Professional Development
- Participation in school wide, departmental and divisional meetings
- Engage in the life of the school
- Knowledge and competence in content area
- Energy and initiative
- Knowledge of classroom management
- Adventure/Outdoor learning experience
- Movement based learning
- Ability to coach various sports with written curriculum
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondences.
- Ability to speak effectively before parents and/or co-workers.
- Strong reasoning skills.
- Recommended to have Fitness certification (or willing get certified)
- Competent Swimmer
- Required to stand, walk, sit, knell, stoop, talk and hear.
- Frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- Required to climb or balance occasionally.
- Frequently lift 25 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree (preferably in Physical Education) from a four-year College or university. ARC lifeguard certification (or willing to complete by August). First Aid/ CPR/ AED certification (or willing to complete by August). ARC WSI Certification.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Hathaway Brown School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community through our admission policies, hiring practices, professional development, curricular and extracurricular programming, and school culture. We believe that these communities must be centered on the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of other marginalized communities. Click here to be directed to our full DEI Statement.
About Hathaway Brown
Hathaway Brown School has a rich 146-year history of educating and empowering girls. As Ohio’s oldest continually operating college-preparatory for girls, Hathaway Brown has earned a reputation for academic excellence and innovation in the region and around the country. Home of the Learn for Life signature approach, Hathaway Brown has long been devoted to a fusion of cutting-edge curriculum and experiential learning. Our approximately 850 students and 225 faculty and staff come to Hathaway Brown from 89 different communities in Northeast Ohio, and enjoy our stunning 16-acre campus in Shaker Heights, Ohio – just minutes from the cultural attractions of downtown Cleveland.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you have any questions you may contact Meredith Cavell, Director of Human Resources at 216-320-8112.
Hathaway Brown School
19600 North Park Boulevard
Shaker Heights, OH 44122
Learn More about Hathaway Brown
Signature Learn For Life Approach
HB is a top-ranked girls school because our signature approach, facilitated by extraordinary educators, empowers girls (and boys in Early Childhood) to take ownership of their education and achieve their utmost potential.
“We learn not for school," is more than the school’s motto. Every faculty and staff member is empowered to pursue professional development. Because of an investment in lifelong-learners, HB is a leader in girls’ education. Learn more about our robust PD opportunities, including international experiences to enhance the classroom.
HB is nationally regarded as a defining voice in girls’ education, setting the highest standards for distinguished academics and empowering girls. The strategic plan lists our goals for continued innovation and excellence in education.
We hope to meet you in-person for an interview. Until then, take a virtual tour of our 16-acre Shaker Heights campus. Amenities include an aquatics center, on-site infant and toddler center where many faculty and staff children learn and grow together, and a dining hall where you can enjoy healthy and free lunch daily.
HB is a celebrated community of faculty, staff, students, families, and more than 4,000 alumnae across the globe. We have varied life experiences, contribute diverse points of view, and enrich our learning environment. Learn more about our commitment to DEI.
Our marketing and communications team along with the alumnae engagement office produce an award-winning magazine. Each publication features thought-provoking articles about Hathaway Brown and other relevant topics. Read the latest issue or visit our newsroom for blog posts and videos.