Job Title: Orchestra and Instrumental Music Teacher
Reports to: Associate Head of School
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: August 15, 2022
The Performing Arts Department has an opening for a full-time orchestra and instrumental music instructor for the 2022-2023 school year.
Ranked the #1 girls school in Ohio, Hathaway Brown is an amazing place to work. Ask our faculty what they like best about HB, and you will hear how employees are encouraged to dream big, try new things and make the most of themselves as educators and human beings. You will hear again and again how much the faculty enjoy the passion and perseverance of the students and how much they enjoy being surrounded by some of the brightest, friendliest, hardest working people anywhere.
Hathaway Brown believes that a multicultural perspective is an essential element of a 21st century education, and values diversity in its student body, faculty and staff.
Orchestra and instrumental music teaching responsibilities include:
- Designing a vibrant and challenging curriculum for classes that include: Upper School Orchestra, Middle School Orchestra, Upper School electives and Prime Beginner Program.
- Creating an environment that nurtures creative exploration and expression.
- Collaborating with other faculty members to enhance the learning experience.
- Broadening the student’s horizons by engaging guest artists in the classroom.
- Communicating with the parent/guardian and administration regarding student progress.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The Orchestra & Instrumental teacher will possess the following:
- Experience teaching at a variety of grade levels.
- The ability to develop and implement an effective and engaging curriculum; highly competent teacher.
- A knowledge of child and adolescent development and effective classroom practice.
- The ability to build positive relationships with students; a powerful student mentor.
- The ability to draw people in for collaboration and problem solving; a trusted and sought-after colleague. A team player.
- High-level of familiarity and competence across cultures and multiple perspectives.
- Familiarity and competence in technology skills.
- Superb communication skills.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.A or B.F.A. in instrumental music and/or music education
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before parents and/or employees of the organization.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About Hathaway Brown
Hathaway Brown School has a rich 146-year history of educating and empowering girls. As Ohio’s oldest continually operating college-preparatory for girls, Hathaway Brown has earned a reputation for academic excellence and innovation in the region and around the country. Home of the Learn for Life signature approach, Hathaway Brown has long been devoted to a fusion of cutting-edge curriculum and experiential learning. Our approximately 850 students and 225 faculty and staff come to Hathaway Brown from 89 different communities in Northeast Ohio, and enjoy our stunning 16-acre campus in Shaker Heights, Ohio – just minutes from the cultural attractions of downtown Cleveland.
Interested candidates should submit a resume with a cover letter and personal statement to:
Director of Human Resources, Hathaway Brown School,
19600 North Park Blvd., Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Hathaway Brown School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community through our admission policies, hiring practices, professional development, curricular and extracurricular programming, and school culture. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of other marginalized communities. Click here to be directed to our full DEI Statement.