Full Time Faculty for 2023-2024 school year
Reports to: English Department Chair
FLSA Status: Exempt
Hathaway Brown School seeks a full-time Upper School English teacher for the 2023-2024 academic year. Ideal candidates will possess upper school teaching experience, facility with a range of diverse texts, and a background in composition pedagogy
We are searching for a gifted educator who can excel at the following:
- Foster joy and enthusiasm for literature and language in a supportive classroom environment.
- Construct creative and rigorous approaches to developing a range of critical reading and writing skills appropriate to the course and student ability.
- Reflect on individual pedagogical practices for ongoing professional growth and improvement.
- Collaborate constructively with colleagues on innovative and interdisciplinary course design.
- Respond proactively to meet the social, emotional, and intellectual needs of girls in an upper school.
- Seek out opportunities to expand cultural competence and design curricula rooted in diverse perspectives and experiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Instructing four full-credit English classes, specific assignment at the discretion of the English Department Chair.
- Mentoring approximately 10 Upper School girls (academic counseling, community building, parent communication, conferencing).
- Chaperoning/supervisory duties approximately two times a year.
- Engagement in the life of the upper school (presence at assemblies, events, etc.)
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of a Bachelor's degree (preferably in English) from a four-year College or university. Master degree recommended.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Hathaway Brown School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community through our admission policies, hiring practices, professional development, curricular and extracurricular programming, and school culture. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of other marginalized communities. Click here to be directed to our full DEI Statement.
About Hathaway Brown
Hathaway Brown School has a rich 146-year history of educating and empowering girls. As Ohio’s oldest continually operating college-preparatory for girls, Hathaway Brown has earned a reputation for academic excellence and innovation in the region and around the country. Home of the Learn for Life signature approach, Hathaway Brown has long been devoted to a fusion of cutting-edge curriculum and experiential learning. Our approximately 850 students and 225 faculty and staff come to Hathaway Brown from 89 different communities in Northeast Ohio, and enjoy our stunning 16-acre campus in Shaker Heights, Ohio – just minutes from the cultural attractions of downtown Cleveland.
Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and statement of pedagogical philosophy to email@example.com. If you have any questions you may contact Meredith Cavell, Director of Human Resources at 216-320-8112.
Faculty & Staff Voices
Learn More about Hathaway Brown
Signature Learn For Life Approach
HB is a top-ranked girls school because our signature approach, facilitated by extraordinary educators, empowers girls (and boys in Early Childhood) to take ownership of their education and achieve their utmost potential.
“We learn not for school," is more than the school’s motto. Every faculty and staff member is empowered to pursue professional development. Because of an investment in lifelong-learners, HB is a leader in girls’ education. Learn more about our robust PD opportunities, including international experiences to enhance the classroom.
HB is nationally regarded as a defining voice in girls’ education, setting the highest standards for distinguished academics and empowering girls. The strategic plan lists our goals for continued innovation and excellence in education.
We hope to meet you in-person for an interview. Until then, take a virtual tour of our 16-acre Shaker Heights campus. Amenities include an aquatics center, on-site infant and toddler center where many faculty and staff children learn and grow together, and a dining hall where you can enjoy healthy and free lunch daily.
HB is a celebrated community of faculty, staff, students, families, and more than 4,000 alumnae across the globe. We have varied life experiences, contribute diverse points of view, and enrich our learning environment. Learn more about our commitment to DEI.
Our marketing and communications team along with the alumnae engagement office produce an award-winning magazine. Each publication features thought-provoking articles about Hathaway Brown and other relevant topics. Read the latest issue or visit our newsroom for blog posts and videos.