Hiring for the 2023-2024 School Year; Position starts July 1, 2023
Department: Cross Divisional
Reports to: Associate Head of School
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Fellowships in Science Research & Engineering oversees all aspects of this nationally recognized science research program, serving as an ambassador for HB in the research community in greater Cleveland while also designing and implementing cutting edge curriculum, creating and connecting students to local, national, and international research forums/contests, and being an integral part of the fellowships and Upper School faculty team. This is a salaried, 12 month position.
- Creates and cultivates strong relationships with researchers in the greater Cleveland area to establish long-term partnerships for student placements in research labs.
- Designs research experiences for students, serves as the liaison between the primary investigator and research team, the student, and the student’s parents/guardians.
- Oversees, organizes, and presents all course material for Intro. to Science Research, Science, Research & Engineering Seminar, and Ninth Grade Seminar.
- Mentors and supports students throughout their SREP experience.
- Coordinates and oversees student submissions and participation in competitions.
- Coordinates travel and serves as a chaperone to competitions and events. Events include, but are not limited to, AAAS, ISEF, Regeneron, OAS, JSHS, STS.
- Works closely with students and provides support and instruction in writing research papers, abstracts, and designing and creating research posters.
- Organizes and carries out all aspects of the SREP Poster Session annually.
- Coordinates and works closely with the Director of Fellowships in Applied Studies, the Associate Head of School, and the Science Department.
- Modeling learning for life by staying current with developing trends in student experiential learning and research opportunities.
- Attends to risk management responsibilities related to research participation for students.
- Communicates with students, parents, faculty and administrators on a regular basis to keep everyone informed of current and upcoming program requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coordinates and delivers all SREP curricula, including classroom instruction, poster session, and other science research opportunities.
- Plans and oversees all student lab/research placements.
- Maintains excellent and steady communication with students, parents, faculty, Director of Fellowships in Applied Studies, Associate Head, and Head of School.
- Serves as a mentor to a group of approximately 10 Upper School students each year.
- Participates in faculty duties including (but not limited to) study hall proctoring, chaperoning student events, and other duties.
- Works collaboratively with Fellowships in Applied Studies directors.
Education and/or Experience
- Advanced degree required; Master’s and above.
- Experience in scientific research, publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated teaching skills and abilities.
- Institutional advancement experience.
- Expertise in issues surrounding health, safety, and risk management particularly in a lab setting.
- Strong network with engineering and research communities in Greater Cleveland.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential job functions described in the job description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply and/or perform the essential functions.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Hathaway Brown School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community through our admission policies, hiring practices, professional development, curricular and extracurricular programming, and school culture. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people who are members of other marginalized communities. Click here to be directed to our full DEI Statement.
About Hathaway Brown
Hathaway Brown School has a rich 146-year history of educating and empowering girls. As Ohio’s oldest continually operating college-preparatory for girls, Hathaway Brown has earned a reputation for academic excellence and innovation in the region and around the country. Home of the Learn for Life signature approach, Hathaway Brown has long been devoted to a fusion of cutting-edge curriculum and experiential learning. Our approximately 850 students and 225 faculty and staff come to Hathaway Brown from 89 different communities in Northeast Ohio, and enjoy our stunning 16-acre campus in Shaker Heights, Ohio – just minutes from the cultural attractions of downtown Cleveland.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and any research you have completed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions you may contact Meredith Cavell, Director of Human Resources at 216-320-8112.
Faculty & Staff Voices
Learn More about Hathaway Brown
Signature Learn For Life Approach
HB is a top-ranked girls school because our signature approach, facilitated by extraordinary educators, empowers girls (and boys in Early Childhood) to take ownership of their education and achieve their utmost potential.
“We learn not for school," is more than the school’s motto. Every faculty and staff member is empowered to pursue professional development. Because of an investment in lifelong-learners, HB is a leader in girls’ education. Learn more about our robust PD opportunities, including international experiences to enhance the classroom.
HB is nationally regarded as a defining voice in girls’ education, setting the highest standards for distinguished academics and empowering girls. The strategic plan lists our goals for continued innovation and excellence in education.
We hope to meet you in-person for an interview. Until then, take a virtual tour of our 16-acre Shaker Heights campus. Amenities include an aquatics center, on-site infant and toddler center where many faculty and staff children learn and grow together, and a dining hall where you can enjoy healthy and free lunch daily.
HB is a celebrated community of faculty, staff, students, families, and more than 4,000 alumnae across the globe. We have varied life experiences, contribute diverse points of view, and enrich our learning environment. Learn more about our commitment to DEI.
Our marketing and communications team along with the alumnae engagement office produce an award-winning magazine. Each publication features thought-provoking articles about Hathaway Brown and other relevant topics. Read the latest issue or visit our newsroom for blog posts and videos.