Department: Upper School, grades 9-12
Reports to: Upper School Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: January 11, 2021 - until filled
The Upper School learning specialist facilitates academic, behavioral, functional, and social-emotional support for students with diverse learning needs by developing strategies for learning, organization, and test-taking. The learning specialist provides individualized instruction and serves as a division-wide resource on learning needs for parents and faculty. The learning specialist can identify learning needs, spearhead educational testing, interpret evaluations, develop accommodation plans, and administer professional development in areas related to student achievement.
A master’s degree in special education or school psychology and experience working in a secondary school setting is required for this position. Minimum of five years’ experience as an intervention/learning specialist, school psychologist, or related field.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage all aspects of individualized learning accommodation plans, including development, implementation, instruction, support, supervision, and monitoring
- Coordinate accommodations for standardized tests (PSAT 8/9, PSAT/NMSQT, ACT, SAT, and AP) and school-wide midyear and final exams
- Identify learning needs of struggling students to support classroom instruction
- Instruct students in a large group, small group, and one-on-one settings in learning, organization, communication, and executive function
- Administer educational assessments and interpret evaluation results
- Manage division-wide tutoring and support services
- Conference with parents and faculty across grade levels and divisions
- Provide short-term intervention to students as needed
- Attend division, department chair, and school-wide meetings
- Work closely with the Upper School Administrative Team
- Serve as a member of the student services and learning services teams
- Serve as testing coordinator for College Board and ACT to complete applications for accommodations and administer exams to students with approved accommodations
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Confidentiality, integrity, discretion, attention to detail is imperative
- Organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience collaborating with a large team of individuals working towards a common goal
- Effective development and execution of professional learning seminars
- Strong computer skills to include Word and Excel, additional database software knowledge a plus, with a willingness to learn new computer programs.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and teaching philosophy to: email@example.com or to Hathaway Brown School, 19600 North Park Boulevard, Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
An equal opportunity employer, Hathaway Brown believes that a multicultural perspective is an essential element of a 21st Century education, and values diversity in its student body, faculty and staff. Compensation and opportunities for professional growth are exceptional.
Hathaway Brown School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning community through our admission policies, hiring practices, professional development, curricular and extracurricular programming, and school culture. The representation and full engagement of the diverse points of view of individuals with varied life experiences is a source of strength and wisdom that enriches the learning environment and fuels innovation and growth, particularly as students are prepared for lives of strong character, public service, and leadership.
HB respects and affirms the dignity and worth of each member of our community. These values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are rooted in our mission; our motto, “We Learn Not for School but for Life”; and our Community Agreement, and it is our expectation that all those affiliated with the institution uphold and demonstrate these shared values both in spirit and in practice at all times.