Department of Learning Services
The Department of Learning Services (formerly Center for Academic Potential) was developed to help every girl at Hathaway Brown become an independent learner and meet her academic potential. When a student needs additional support, Learning Services team members work alongside parents, teachers, and administrators to develop and monitor interventions. The Department of Learning Services is the designated office at Hathaway Brown that maintains confidential files regarding educational evaluations, Accommodation Plans, and documentation of diagnosed conditions. At each division, Learning Services works with teams to certify eligibility for services, determine reasonable accommodations and supports, as well as develop and implement accommodation plans.
|Primary School||Middle School||Upper School|
|ROLE OF HB'S K-12 SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST |
Coordinates schoolwide Student Study Team (SST)
Conducts individual academic and behavioral screening
Coordinates referrals to private evaluators
Writes HB Accommodation Plans
Conducts admission screening for the Prime
Provides a longitudinal perspective for students via Excellence By Design
Provides longitudinal data regarding overall progress of cohorts
To qualify for an HB plan, a student must have a disability or learning disorder which has been shown to adversely impact her educational performance. Written documentation including a diagnosis must be on file with the Department of Learning Services. If accommodations are being requested for a learning or language disorder, results from a comprehensive evaluation including test scores and interpretation must be submitted. Your child’s educational team will determine eligibility for accommodations.
How to document a disability
The documentation must include:
- Qualification of the Evaluator
- Functional limitations
- Clearly stated specific diagnosis (test results in written report signed by qualified evaluator must be included for language or learning disorder)
Reasonable accommodations are individualized and flexible, based on the nature of the disability, are supported by documentation on file, and are provided within the academic environment.
Statement of confidentiality and release of information
The Department of Learning Services is committed to ensuring that all information and communication pertaining to a student’s learning disorder is maintained in a secure and confidential manner.
- No one will have immediate access to student files in the Learning Services office. Educational evaluations are considered confidential and will be shared only with others in the HB community who have a legitimate educational interest. Learning Services provides a written Summary of the evaluation within the Accommodation Plan. Accommodation plans are shared with your child’s classroom teachers.
- If a parent wishes to have information about his/her student shared with others outside of the institution, parents must provide written authorization to Learning Services to release the information
- Electronic storage (password protected, secure server)
- HB Accommodation Plans will be stored for 10 years.