Department of Learning Services
The Department of Learning Services (formerly Center for Academic Potential) was developed to help every girl at Hathaway Brown become an independent learner and meet her academic potential. When a student needs additional support, Learning Services team members work alongside parents, teachers, and administrators to develop and monitor interventions. Each division's Learning Specialist maintains confidential files regarding educational evaluations, Accommodation Plans, and documentation of diagnosed conditions. These professionals work with grade-level teams to certify eligibility for services, determine reasonable accommodations and supports, as well as develop and implement accommodation plans.
|Primary School||Middle School||Upper School|
ROLE OF HB'S K-12 LEARNING SPECIALIST
Coordinate referrals to tutors and private evaluators
Develop and monitor HB Individual Accommodation Plans
Serve as a member of the Admissions team
Maintain data for overall progress of class cohorts
To qualify for an HB plan, a student must have a disability or learning disorder which has been shown to adversely impact her educational performance. Written documentation that includes a diagnosis must be on file with the division Learning Specialist. If accommodations are being requested for a behavioral, learning, or language disorder, results from a comprehensive evaluation, including test scores and interpretation, must be submitted. Each child’s educational team will determine appropriate accommodations.
How to document a disability
The documentation must include:
- Qualification of the Evaluator
- Functional limitations
- Clearly stated specific diagnosis (test results in written report signed by qualified evaluator must be included for behavioral, language, or learning disorder)
Reasonable accommodations provided within the academic environment are individualized and flexible, based on the nature of the disability, and are supported by documentation on file.
Statement of confidentiality and release of information
Hathaway Brown is committed to ensuring that all information and communication pertaining to a student’s learning disorder is maintained in a secure and confidential manner.
- No one will have immediate access to student files in the Learning Specialist's office. Educational evaluations are considered confidential and will be shared only with others in the HB community who have a legitimate educational interest. The Learning Specialist provides a written summary of the evaluation within each Accommodation Plan. Accommodation Plans are shared with classroom teachers.
- If a parent wishes to have information about his/her student shared with others outside of the institution, parents must provide written authorization to the Learning Specialist to release the information
- HB Accommodation Plans are stored for four (4) years after a student has graduated or withdrawn from Hathaway Brown.
Department of Learning Services
- Northern Ohio Branch of the International Dyslexia Association
- International Dyslexia Association
- CHADD.org - Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit Disorders
- Interventioncentral.org - Resources for providing classroom interventions