- What is the Technology Initiative?
- Why is HB implementing this technology plan?
- What's the timeline for the rollout?
- When do we need to buy our own computer?
- What kind of computer do we need to buy?
- What does a family-owned computer need to have on it?
- Will our computer need a DVD player?
- How will students use the computers in the classroom?
- Do students need to bring their computer to every class?
- How will the computer be kept safe?
- Can students charge their battery during the day?
back to top
Fall 2011 PK-Grade 5 — School purchase Jan 2012 Grades 7, 9-10 — Family purchase Fall 2012 PK-Grade 5 — Add additional carts
Grade 6, 7 and 9 — Family purchase*
Grade 6 — 1st family purchase
Grade 9 or 10 — 2nd family purchase*
*new students will need to join their class as they are admitted
|Estimated Purchasing by Class|
|Class of||JAN 2012||AUG 2012||AUG 2013||AUG 2014||AUG 2015||AUG 2016||AUG 2017|
|Year by year view of the proposed phase-in schedule. Whether or not the class of 2013 will need to purchase a device for HS is undecided since they are so close to needing to buy one for college. We’ll make that decision based on the success of the first phase.|
Students in grades 6-8 will purchase an iPad as specified by the school. Upper schoolers may purchase any computer with a keyboard — PC or Mac, any brand. See below for what the computer needs to have.
- Wireless Internet connection capability
- Web browser: IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome
- Battery that can hold a charge for a minimum of four hours
- Office apps (Microsoft Office, Mac iWorks, OpenOffice, GoogleDocs)
We keep hearing that even the best technology initiatives in schools only have students on their devices 30-40% of their school day. While this is a significant amount of time, not everything will need to change immediately, or in some cases ever. There are things that technology can’t replace. Computers and iPads won’t be in use the entire school day. But we sincerely hope that each teacher will be actively searching for innovative ways to use technology to allow his or her curriculum to really expand. And we will provide the level of support that’s needed for teachers to explore best practice.
Yes, students will need to have their devices with them all day unless a teacher has told them it is not necessary to bring them to class that day.
Students should keep their computers or iPads in their lockers when not in use.
Students will be expected to bring the computer or iPad to school charged to last a minimum of four hours, but there will be limited opportunities for charging computers or iPads.