A new and growing entity at HB, The Center for Girls' and Women’s Leadership was created to explore ideas at the forefront of women’s leadership.
The center encourages girls in each division to consider the complexities of leadership work from a variety of perspectives so they can better navigate the numerous forces at play in any leadership challenge.
Focused on what's required to equip women in the 21st century, the center aims to guide young women to become leaders of their own lives—individuals who take steps to know, reflect, connect, and act as they make decisions.
What it does:
Center programming empowers girls to assume leadership roles with courage and encourages them to create change where needed. The center:
- fosters a shared language about leadership, presenting the concept throughout the campus in a girl-friendly, age-appropriate, consistent way.
- offers workshops that introduce students to the nuts and bolts of leadership.
- partners with teachers in the prime, middle, and upper schools to match leadership lessons with the challenges girls are currently facing.
- creates opportunities for students to engage in discussions about leadership with experienced women from a variety of settings.
- fuels a network, forming connections with leadership organizations locally and globally.
How to join:
- Workshops: Do you want to learn how to run a meeting or create a plan for a club? Learn to network with individuals who can help? Negotiate your babysitting salary? Manage your time better? Sign up for the various workshops that the Center for Girls’ and Women’s Leadership offers during X Block and Lunch. They’re open to all girls in the Upper School.
- Leadership Class: Enroll in Leadership Seminar, which meets during twice a cycle during X Block for a year. You’ll get a comprehensive look at essential leadership skills and a great deal of support as you practice them.
- Student Government: Elected leaders meet regularly to focus on skills needed to move their organizations ahead.
- Leadership Intensives for Prime and Middle Schools: Students in Grades 4 and 8 take a close look at leadership with similar programming tailored for their needs. Upper Schoolers involved in the center help design and implement some activities for the younger students.
HB Leadership Framework
Click here to see HB's Leadership Framework, a tool being piloted in the school this year. The Center for Girls’ and Women’s Leadership uses this language to help girls see themselves as individuals with the confidence and calling to lead from any position.
Hathaway Brown School is a member of the International Leadership Association.