Middle School Civic Engagement
Hathaway Brown has a long tradition of community service dating back more than a century. Each year Middle School students participate in a wide variety of hands-on service projects as well as outreach and fundraising initiatives. In addition, the Middle School has a student-run foundation, Girls Reaching Others Worldwide (GROW), which since 2000 has awarded approximately $70,000 in grants to various organizations serving the larger community. Partnerships with community organizations and hands-on involvement encourage our Middle School girls to develop an early interest in helping others and making a difference.
- Partners with the Sunbeam School, a school for children with disabilities in the Cleveland Municipal School District.
- Orchestra members perform for the students and hold a "Meet the Instruments" session.
- Girls Reaching Others Worldwide (GROW) is HB's student-run foundation.
- Since 2000, GROW has awarded approximately $70,000 in grants to HB and other community organizations supporting service learning.
- In 2011 alone, GROW awarded more than $6,000 in grants to local and international organizations including Give a Kid a Backpack, Girls Club, Hospice of the Western Reserve, New Avenues to Independence and Daily Dose of Reading.
- Having received a grant from the Cleveland Foundation's Crittenton Fund, GROW has funded programs that help at-risk adolescent girls.
- Interested in applying for a grant? Apply online or visit the GROW web page.
- An elected body of students representing each advisor group in the Middle School, the Student Council sponsors school-wide service projects including the games component of Carnival and the Giving Tree.
- Members address local hunger through participation in service projects to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank.
- The Recycling and Environmental Educators (TREE) organization is dedicated to environmentalism on and off campus.
- Members organize and carry out campus recycling.
- As advocates for the environment, TREE members raise awareness about sustainability and coordinate Earth Week activities.
Junior Gold Key
- Trains and empowers students to serve as effective ambassadors of Hathaway Brown.
- Student volunteers give tours during Open House, host prospective students, participate in panel discussions and serve as advisor buddies to new students.
- Junior Gold Key members are important liaisons between HB and the wider Cleveland community.