Middle School Civic Engagement
Overview: Hathaway Brown has a long tradition of community service dating back more than a century. Each year Middle School students participate in a wide variety of hands-on service projects as well as outreach and fundraising initiatives. In addition, the Middle School has a student-run foundation, Girls Reaching Others Worldwide (GROW), which since 2000 has raised more than $53,000 and awarded approximately $43,000 in grants to various organizations serving the larger community. Partnerships with community organizations and hands-on involvement encourage our Middle School girls to develop an early interest in helping others and making a difference.
Savvy Citizens Academy
- Engages 7th and 8th graders with the city of Cleveland via hands-on explorations of Cleveland neighborhoods, educational programs and service projects.
- Building on our school wide theme "Education as Empowerment," academy members become better informed about Cleveland and become advocates on behalf of the city.
- Partners with the Sunbeam School, a school for children with disabilities in the Cleveland Municipal School District.
- Orchestra members perform for the students and hold a "Meet the Instruments" session.
- Girls Reaching Others Worldwide (GROW) is HB's student-run foundation.
- Since 2000, GROW has raised more than $45,000 and awarded $35,000 in grants to HB and other community organizations supporting service learning.
- In 2011 alone, GROW awarded more than $6000 in grants to local and international organizations including Give a Kid a Backpack, Girls Club, Hospice of the Western Reserve, New Avenues to Independence and Daily Dose of Reading.
- Having received a grant from the Cleveland Foundation's Crittendon Fund, GROW has funded programs that help at-risk adolescent girls.
- Interested in applying for a grant? Apply online or download the application form. Click here for the GROW Foundation brochure (PDF).
- An elected body of students representing each Advisor Group in the Middle School, the Student Council sponsors schoolwide service projects including the games component of Carnival and the Giving Tree.
- Members address local hunger through participation in service projects to the Cleveland Foodbank.
- The Recycling and Environmental Educators (TREE) is dedicated to environmentalism on and off campus.
- Members organize and carry out on campus recycling.
- As advocates for the environment TREE members raise awareness about sustainability and coordinate Earth Week activities.
Junior Gold Key
- Trains and empowers students to serve as effective ambassadors of Hathaway Brown.
- Student volunteers give tours during Open House, host prospective students, participate in panel discussions and serve as advisor buddies to new students.
- Junior Gold Key members are important liaisons between HB and the wider Cleveland community.