Diversity and Multiculturalism
Hathaway Brown is committed to providing our community the knowledge, skills and experiences necessary to navigate in a complex society of human differences. We will collaborate to create and maintain an inclusive learning community whose policies, curricula and practices foster understanding and respect for multiple perspectives.
Goals for the program
- Maintain a supportive and diverse faculty, staff and administration who demonstrate an investment in creating a multicultural educational community.
- Develop practices and policies that meet the needs of the diverse families and other stakeholders in the HB community and Greater Cleveland area.
- Utilize our existing resources to systematically integrate multiculturalism into the operation of the HB community.
- Assure that our commitment to diversity is transparent to constituents and the greater community.
To achieve these goals HB has a Director of Multicultural Affairs who works closely with a team of diversity liaisons, each representing their division.
Diversity Initiatives, Programs and Curriculum
- HB's multicultural curriculum includes, but is not limited to, a wide range of diverse materials, resources and literature designed to stimulate an understanding of self and others.
- Lesson plans, activities, speakers and field trips that inform and heighten awareness into issues of social justice and equity are integrated into the core and elective curricula.
- Understanding and respect are fostered and social activism and leadership are promoted.
As a multicultural learning community, HB provides opportunities for students to develop the cultural competencies needed to successfully navigate in a diverse world experience, such as reflection, resilience, personal autonomy, personal acuity, flexibility and openness.